Approved Classical Literature
As we work toward a classical education for your child, our goal is that we use books that are classical in nature, proven quality literature, and somewhat time-tested, enabling your child to become a great thinker, learner and contributor to society. Remember that while the OCS Approved Classical Literature List is available, it is not a closed list – it can’t be – there are lots of wonderful books that could be on that list but aren’t. If there is any doubt whether a book qualifies, you may check with the teacher or the librarian. Be sure that books chosen are reasonably challenging.
- Any Caldecott (picture book) winners and honors
- Any Newberry (literary) winners and honors
- Children’s Literature Association of Utah – CLAU Home
- Any current year’s Battle of the Books titles
- Core Knowledge Classical Literature
*You may still choose to use these books for book reports, but be advised that they will be used for classroom instruction during the designated school year.
Reading a book used a year earlier in classroom instruction would usually not be “reasonably challenging,” depending on the student.