We believe uniforms are a necessary part of the distinctive learning environment parents will find at Odyssey Charter School. Uniforms improve the classroom learning environment; build citizenship and a sense of community in our children; and create a safe learning environment.
Uniforms must be worn during school hours, except under special circumstances as announced by the school. Uniforms must also be worn for all before and after school programs, including field trips and special school activities, and all tutoring and enrichment sessions, except on occasions when costumes may be required for dress rehearsals or performances.
Appearance: Students must present a clean, modest, and neat appearance at all times. All clothing must be appropriately sized and worn correctly. Pants/shorts/skirts must be worn at the waist, shirts must be buttoned and tucked in, shoes must be tied or fastened, clothing must be worn right-side- out, etc. Clothing shall not be excessively worn or have holes.
Footwear: Shoes for students should be in neutral or coordinating colors. Shoes should be conservative in style. Students must wear shoes that are not distracting (no lights, charms, or characters). Closed toed and closed heel shoes only. Heels or soles may not be higher than 2 inches. No boots (with the exception of snow boots when required)
Underclothing: Other than plain white undershirts worn under uniform shirts, underclothing should not be visible. Girls are encouraged to wear shorts under skirts and jumpers. Shorts, knit leggings or pants that show underneath these articles of clothing are not allowed.
Hemlines: Skirts, skorts, shorts shall be no shorter than 2 inches above the kneecap.
Jewelry: Girls may wear jewelry or hair accessories that are appropriate for wear at school and are not a distraction. Boys may not wear earrings. All jewelry, if worn, must not be a distraction to the educational environment of the class or school. Sunglasses should not be worn inside the school building.
Hair: Hair must be kept neat, have a combed appearance, and be appropriate for school. Irregular coloring of hair or outlandish hairstyles are inappropriate. Hair coloring and outlandish hairstyle parameters will be left to the discretion of the Director.
Cosmetics: Any makeup worn should be appropriate for school and not a distraction.
Head coverings: No hats of any kind, including baseball caps, may be worn inside the school building. Head coverings of a religious nature (e.g. yarmulke, hijad, etc.) are permitted.
- It is recommended that students wear a brown or black belt in all belt loops (required for grades 3-6)
- Socks: Navy, Khaki, or White
- Shoes: Neutral or coordinating colors. No distracting styles
Outerwear: All sweaters and vests must be worn with a uniform shirt underneath. For extra warmth during the school day, students may wear the OCS hoodie or sweatshirt (available for order from the school) or a solid navy or white sweater without any writing.
- navy or khaki twill uniform pant, shorts, or capri
- navy , khaki, or classic plaid uniform style skirt, skort or Jumper of appropriate length
- navy, white, yellow or light blue long or short sleeve polo (with or without OCS logo)
- white, light blue peter pan collared blouse
- navy, classic plaid cross tie
- navy or khaki twill uniform pant or shorts
- navy, white, yellow, or light blue long or short sleeve polo (with or without OCS logo)
- white, light blue oxford dress shirt
- navy, classic plaid tie
Enforcement: When necessary, OCS will implement the following discipline policy;
1. First infraction: verbal warning
2. Second infraction: e-mail sent home
3. Each subsequent infraction: the student will be sent to the office to call home and request the parent to bring
the appropriate clothing to remedy the violation.
A used uniform parent to parent sale is held in August and in the Spring. Watch the calendar for dates.
T-shirts with logo from Odyssey sponsored activities may be worn on Fridays with appropriate Uniform pants. You can purchase these with the order the first of October.
The Uniform Exchange is held twice a year. Usually the first week of August and again in March. Watch out for the exact dates on the Odyssey Newsletter or on the website calender.
Write the following on an envelope that is safety-pinned on each piece (Odyssey does not provide envelopes or safety pins):
• Boys or girls
• Price you are asking (we recommend pricing to start at most 1/2 the original cost, then adjust price according to the condition of the piece)
• YOUR NAME and PHONE NUMBER